The Dress Shop of Dreams: 5 STARS

Written by: Menna van Praag
Narrated by: Jane Carr
Length: 9 hrs and 8 mins 
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date:05/05/2016
Publisher: Lamplight Audio
Source: Purchased Copy
5 STARS

Publishers Summary
Since her parents' mysterious deaths many years ago, scientist Cora Sparks has spent her days in the safety of her university lab or at her grandmother Etta's dress shop.
Tucked away on a winding Cambridge street, Etta's charming tiny store appears quite ordinary to passers-by, but the colourfully vibrant racks of beaded silks, delicate laces and jewel-toned velvets hold bewitching secrets - with just a few stitches from Etta's needle, these gorgeous gowns have the power to free a woman's deepest desires….

Review
A Serendipitous Purchase ...

This book is so very different to my usual crime fiction picks that even I wondered why I bought it. The thing is, I was in a bit of a reading slump, the audiobook on my app was awful, in both content and quality, so I returned it to Audible, something I rarely do.
I opened my Audible Australia page ready to spend my new credit and there, floating along on the slider, was this book entitled “The Dress Shop of Dreams” and I was, quite simply, drawn to it. 
A whimsical turn in behaviour for me I can tell you!

I was rapidly immersed in this entrancing story of clever Cora the scientist who lived for two things; her work and to discover the truth surrounding the death of her parents. Her Aunt Etta who, in her own special way, liked nothing better than to make right the troubled lives of others, and Walt, hapless Walt who had loved Cora since childhood.

The most fascinating aspect of the story is Etta’s Gift. She would just know if any of her customers were in need, she would sew her little red star into a dress and persuade them to try it on. Immediately they would feel transformed, and able to do whatever it took to change their lives for the better.
The story is, in fact a little more complex than it at first seems, there’s a little magic, a little love and a little mystery.

I thoroughly enjoyed this heart warming story and was very happy to sit back and let the mystical tale wash over me.

Narrator
Narrated by the fabulous Jane Carr, a voice that most listeners will recognise. Jane Carr has an acting resume as long as your arm including many popular television series.
I can’t fault her performance, she is a true professional . Every character is given a distinct and appropriate voice, eliminating any doubt as to who was speaking, that is a huge plus. Pacing is perfect, and she brings a sparkling vitality to the words and so bringing the story to life

I’m glad that I disregarded the “chicklit” label!
This book earned 5 Stars for the sheer enjoyment and pleasure it brought.

Book source: Own Copy

No comments

Post a Comment

© Audiobook and Book Reviews by Audiothing • THEME BY Maira Gall