Career of Evil: 2 Stars


  • Author: Robert Galbraith
  • Narrator: Robert Glenister
  • Series: Cormoran Strike Book 3
  • Length: 17 hours 54 minutes
  • Source: own copy
  • 2 Stars

  • The severed leg is delivered, the horror begins .....
    I really liked the first in series, The Cuckoos Calling, even though it was a bit dark for my taste. The second book: The Silkworm, I found disappointing, now this, the third in the series I found to be simply distasteful and silly.
  • There is a lot of grim, dark and deviant goings on, too much for me, it is as if some of it was plonked in merely for shock value. Much of it seemed superfluous to the story, but maybe the author just enjoys writing about the macabre, I know that plenty of people enjoy reading that stuff.
  • Strikes character changes in this book and I, who was so fond of that character especially with his Cornish background and interesting family, now find him slightly farcical, especially so at the end of the book.
  • It is an unnecessarily long book, nearly eighteen hours but I did finish it, judicious editing of waffle could probably cut that back to eight. No, there won't be anymore Cormoran Strike books for me.

  • Narrator
  • Robert Glenister does a great job with Strikes' accent, which is that of a man raised in Cornwall but who has lived his adult years in England. He also does an excellent deep, dark, evil and creepy voice, I had no issues with his accents or voices at all, but maybe he didn't much like the story either because some of it just sounded a bit off-hand, as if he were a little bit bored with it all. Well, it did go on a bit! However, it is a really good quality production.
  •  

    No comments

    Post a Comment

    © Audiobook and Book Reviews by Audiothing • THEME BY Maira Gall